Thursday, March 19, 2009



I have always loved the USA Southwest, even before I ever came to live in this country. When a pubescent in Caracas, Venezuela I used to read crime stories and western paperbacks handed down to me by a family friend. I learned about mobsters and cowpokes. And I always dreamed of someday visiting this land of cowboys and cattle drives. But, somehow I imagined it as a dusty brown desert land. When I finally came to live in Arizona I was surprised that it was so green with creosote and desert brooms and the mighty "sentinel of the desert", the mighty Saguaro that can live 200 years and grow to 50 feet tall. And the mountains are so tall. They've hints of purple during the daytime and glow red when hit by the light of the setting sun. This is the Treasury I made about the Southwest, it evokes the colors and the "soul" of this great region.

2 comments:

My Inspired Reality said...

As an acrylic artist, I love the colors of Arizona, especially the wonderful sunsets:):)

Tracy said...

Hi! Thanks so much for you email this weekend--so great to meet you and find your beautiful Etsy shop and engaging blog! :o) Being an east coast girl originally (now living in Norway!) I've never experienced the very special skies and landscape of your part of the country--I hope to one day! Your previous post on finding the balance of crreating and marketing your work for sale is very close to my heart, as I feel in a very similar situation--the struggle to gain sales and customers in a sluggish economy...not easy. May we artisan keep talking and keep encouraging and inspiring each other in the meantime. Wishing you all the best for success and joy in creation. I look forward to visiting here again. Happy Days! :o)