Monday, March 23, 2009

My nap time fur babies

My cats Amber the Tabby and Raven the Black are today exactly eleven months old. They were litter mates but I'm not sure if they are true sisters, since their mothers were raised together and allowed to breed at will. All of the mothers nursed whichever kitten nuzzled her at the time. Next month I will be taking them to be spayed. I wanted to wait until they are one year old so that they will achieve their true body size. They're indoor cats and I was not afraid they would become pregnant.

Amber is the quiet, more stately, cautious type. She eats a lot and sleeps a lot. Raven was the runt, only two thirds the size of Amber when I adopted them at six weeks old. She is now the wild one, very inquisitive and playful and stubborn. If she wants to go into a room or do something she will persist until she finds an opportunity. I think she's smarter than Amber in some ways, but Amber would likely be the one with better survival skills in the great outdoors.



And here is an extreme closeup of Amber's face showing the latent wildness of her distant ancestors. The original cats were tabbies. The tabby stripes and spots and earthy colors were perfect for camouflage for succesful hunting.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Amber and Raven are beauties! I just love cats...Purrs to them! Happy Day :o)