Thursday, April 2, 2009

My backyard Hummingbird

When I bought this house three years ago my main aim for my backyard, besides being a visual delight, was to make a cool and green haven for birds but especially hummingbirds. I planted many plants that appeal to them, but my one (or two?) little green hummer is only interested in the yellow tube flowered Chuparosa (Justicia Californica). I even read that they liked the red flowered one and I planted one but he still wants nothing but the yellow flowered one.


This morning I was filling a bucket with water to water a newly transplanted Salvia Coccinea and suddenly he was hovering over the running stream of water. He got close to it and drank, just a little, but then he is a very tiny little fellow. Just the nectar from the flowers is probably enough to sustain him. He was SO close to my left hand, I wanted to put out my finger and encourage him to perch on it. But, I was afraid I would frighten him so was just happy to observe him. Once he perched on the hose to rest, three inches from the spout and perhaps eight inches from my hand. I felt flattered that he trusted me.

I saw pictures of a woman with a red hummer feeder in the palm of her hand and four hummers perching on its rim. I also heard of a woman whose hummer came every spring and summer for five years and would perch on her shoulder as she sat on her porch. I just think they're adorable.

2 comments:

Lanyardlady said...

It sounds like you have such an interesting yard. I love hummingbirds, too. We once had a pair who would always come to the feeder together. They were fascinating to watch. And thanks for visiting my blog!

Tracy said...

Your garden sounds like a great work in progress...and I like this yellow-flowering shrub. Hummingbirds are so so sweet. We don't have them here in Norway so I miss them--magical creatures that they are. :o) Happy weekend!